Friday, April 26th, 2013 | Author:
animacenter.orgI love this photo!

animacenter.org
I love this photo!

I was suprised when the last week came about and our last blog due was going to be this reflection blog. Looking back on the semester, the topic I feel I was most engaged in was the history of Easter Island. That topic led to deforestation, which is what environmentally led to the collapse. I found it facinating that today, we know what deforestation can do (change the climate, hurt and destroy our soil, effect our river system, and biodiversity loss) and yet with the information we still are cutting down so many trees. I have heard many times, hisotry repeats itself. Easter Islanders did not have the technology we have today, they thought that some deity was going to solve all their problems. The people fought so hard to survive, but failed. I am impressed with the large stones they created, without cranes and other electronic tools. There were only a couple thousand of people living on that island, but once the trees were gone, the people no longer could survive. I am worried about our future. Jared Diamond felt similiar and put into words that touch the heart “for instance, if mere thousands of Easter Islanders with just stone tools and their own muscle power sufficed to destroy their environment and thereby destroyed their society, how can billions of people with metal tools and machine power now fail to do worse?” (Diamond 2005)
I enjoyed this class, and truely feel that similar classes should be taught in elementry schools, not just here in the US, but all over the globe. Wouldn’t that just be great! The younger people of our world are the future, and I want to make sure they have a good planet to live upon. Education seems to be the key, and without this class there are many things I would not have learned. Through this class I met more people who care and want to improve the environment, and learned a lot of knew ideas and solutions. I do wonder if classes similar in style would be allowed in elementary schools. Even though there is evidence of global warming, deforestation effects, pollution and so on, there are still people who do not believe it, and would probably have a problem with our youth being taught it. I looked up a few activities and lessons some people have put out there to teach the youth of their environmental surroundings.  I think a school garden is a good idea too.

WED_1990a

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  1. Dr. Szulczewski says:

I still get fascinated by the Easter Island story every time I discuss it, so I’m glad it touched a chord with you too. And yes- very powerful photo!