Friday, April 05th, 2013 | Author:
I never fully understood the humpty dumpty "rhyme" when I was a kid, but this one makes sense to me!

I never fully understood the humpty dumpty “rhyme” when I was a kid, but this one makes sense to me!

Did you know that the sun can reach temperatures of 27 million degrees F?  I was thinking about Australia and how much I do not like hot weather.  I”m more of a 65 -70 degree weather type of person.  So thinking about Australia and how they have had the hottest months ever there this year I got to thinking about the sun, and how much temperatures here are rising.  Heres some good information on our sun if you want to look a little more into it.    I was put in a sad mood when I learned that Australia had to have a “color” to their high temperature scale for this year.  That proves that temperatures are raising.  I feel for the people that live there and especially the animals, the ones that can not create Air condition and have to live outside.  I hear from a lot of people that they don’t think the Earth is getting hotter, or that they just don’t believe it.  Luckily, we have had others who notice the temperature rise and have done graphs of previous years to now.  The world has always had periods of cooler and hotter times, but the fear of this rising temperature is that it is happening much quicker than it should, and that humans are having a bigger hand in it than they should be.  What if humans weren’t here?  What would this planet look like?  questions that are somewhat hard to answer, but as I and many feel, it would be in a better balance.  I know our class has learned a bit about the greenhouse effect and how it works, but here is a site from NASA that explains it pretty well and has a nice graph to show the rising temperatures here on Earth.   I feel that sometimes people will only believe things when it is too late, and in thinking of that, I came accross this article, a man that was certainly skeptic of global warming is now a believer!  “A prominent physicist and skeptic of global warming spent two years trying to find out if mainstream climate scientists were wrong. In the end, he determined they were right: Temperatures really are rising rapidly.” (Seth Borenstein)

I hope more and more people are learning and doing research on the planet and what is happening to it.  We are all responsible in our own ways, and accept that.

The Video that follows, is just a little comedy I found after feeling a bit down about the world.

YouTube Preview Image

this one is from NASA

YouTube Preview Image
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
  1. Lorraine says:

Wow! After all I got a webpage from where I can actually obtain helpful information regarding my study and
    knowledge.

2. Dr. Szulczewski says:

Good that you are bringing the conversation back to climate change- its impacts are seen everywhere whether people choose to deny the actual cause or not.

3. riafirth says:

Your questions are intriguing and I loved your video and the comic. The comic was a little scary and made me think that I REALLY do not want to get to the part of the rhyme: “and all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn’t put humpty dumpty back together again.” Yikes. Thanks for showing us this.

4. Taylor Bono says:

I really like that you asked how the world/earth would be if humans weren’t here. I think about that so much and it is so scary and also kind of frustrating. Mostly I think about what nature or our world would be if we did not meddle more than necessary in nature. Also, thank you so much for that comedic relief video…it was needed. It’s kind of hard to think that while there seems to be copious amounts of date for the warming of the earth and/or the increasing greenhouse effect that is our planet, there are still people who deny it or do not try to reduce these effects even though their children will be affected by it. Maybe that’s a lot of speculation on my end, but you just provided me and whoever else with a lot of data pointing to rising temperatures! -tb

5. terra says:

I have seen a few people finally agree that there is a change, they may not feel still that humans have had anything to do with it, but at least they are coming around! I just hope that things aren’t too late for us to have an impact on making it “better” Even if it naturally is going to continue to rise and change, at least we are learning ways to adapt and use our resources better.

6. Kaycee Faunce says:

I know a lot of people who were skeptics that have started to believe now that they can see firsthand how the weather is being affected. Hurricanes in October, blisteringly hot summers breaking temperature records left and right, alternating snowy days with warm days, etc, etc. (Just last week I had sleet at my house one night followed by a beautiful 70 degree day.)

7. efalvey says:

One on my good friends from high school was always a skeptic of global warming, and I couldn’t believe how adamantly she denied it! Despite all the evidence given to her, she felt it was an overreaction. In truth, I wish she could prove me wrong in the years to come, but unfortunately I have a feeling that we will only continue to see more examples of the effects of global warming and climate change.

8. terra says:

I agree, that it can be semi natural, because it does happen. But I think the problem is we are making it go faster than it should be. Plus, I think in general it is a good wake up call to realize the other problems like deforestation anyway. We could lead to a collapse by using all our resources.

9. kdekker says:

Your videos’ are very interesting, I also think it is strnge that people refuse to believe the temperature is rising. But what if this is a semi – natural process and if people cannt inhabit the parts that get too hot, maybe they can move towards the parts that were frozen. maybe teh earth will have time to recover when people can no longer inhabit the area, or liek other deserts it jusy stays uninhabitable.