Saturday, February 09th, 2013 | Author:

World_Oil_Production12

this was for 2005, and i”m sure its changed by now, but I liked how it presented the information.

I missed some of the class time talking about the second case study of Brazil.  But what I did get to hear and be apart of was finding out about the rainforest being a part of what we may term “blackmail”  I can understand where they are coming from in asking for money so they don’t use the “reserve” under the rain forest, but whats stopping all the other oil reserve places to stop their supply and hold it ransom?  Its really unfortunate that we all the share the same planet, but are so very selfish. But I feel that the selfishness is coming from a base of fear, survival.  It is hard to know that the world is demanding oil, and that if you tap into it and sell it, your country would much better off, have much more money, but then you would damage the rain forest, kill of species, and probably do irreversible damage in the end to the planet itself.  The people want to keep the forest the way it is, and improve it a little bit, not destroy it.  Once again, it all comes down to money, which is a made up thing anyway!  Peoples first question for things sometimes is “how much can i get for it”?  It has always made me sad to think of people who do not have a home, or food while others are living in billion dollar homes with all the luxuries and more.  I have also wondered, who would I be if I had all that money?  What would I do and would I be the person that I am today and want to give give give?

But should we be apart of the blackmail on the rain forest?  I think its more of the uncertainty that lies behind it all right now, like how do we know what the money will actually be used for, how long will they not hurt the reserve, whats stopping them from asking for more… and I’m thinking that if others who are providing oil right now think about it, they would decide not to stop the supply and ask for money ,but just up the price a lot.  I know that the other day I was set on not giving in to supplying them money, but I feel that once it came down to it really I might actually do it, if all questions had answers and laws were set into place. Also, no one wants to give money without knowing that it will actually be used responsibly.  I would like to see them (and everywhere) implement more renewable resources.

A nice site for Amazon Info

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  1. terra says:

I am feeling that even if they get their goal money, it won’t be enough. But if they are legally bound at that point not to drill, at least for years down the road, then maybe by that time that they need more money the world will have more sustainable/ renewable resources being implemented all over. It seems to me that not country feels they have “enough” money though. I think that Ecuador wants to save the rainforest, its now known well how much it is needed and the effects are of destruction of it. I have also thought about expanding the rainforest – somewhat like we do with wetlands. IF you have to destroy a wetland in an area, you have to “put” a wetland somewhere as well. Maybe help plant the same trees and other vegetation along the edges of the forest and try to get it to move outward again. I Know the soil is not ideal anymore for it, but soil can change again.

2. Dr. Szulczewski says:

Thanks to David and Mary for bringing up that point about how little oil is there- that’s what I was getting at in my first comment. In some ways that makes me want to stop the drilling even more, and pay the “blackmail” because the reward is not worth the rainforest destruction.

3. Mary Chessman says:

Looking at the map you included with your post made me think of something. If Ecuador’s relatively small oil reserve is gaining this much attention, why is a bigger deal not being made of how much desert ecosystem Saudi Arabia is destroying with its gigantic oil production? Yes, I understand that the rain forest supports many more species than the desert. However, all ecosystems play an important role in making the Earth as a whole a suitable home for human beings.

4. davidd says:

I like the map that you posted with your blog. It shows how little oil Ecuador actually has compared to other countries. If they are having such a big issue with trying to save the rain forest and trying to fend off the oil countries, how much pressure is Venezuela under? I would think they would sell their oil to the oil countries just because how much of it they actually have and the benefits they would receive from these companies. They would also have some places that are protected from oil drilling though because they probably make enough money for selling half of their reserves. Just finding out how much oil Ecuador has changes everything. They do not have enough oil to set aside and protect some land. If they do give in to the oil companies, it would probably be the whole Yasuni park.

5. bcrane says:

I agree with a lot of what you said in your post about the “blackmail” to save the rainforest. However, I also wonder if just giving money to save the rainforest (if their goal is reached) will be enough to save the environment in that area. If the rainforest is saved that is great but what would be the following impacts of that? Would other ecosystems be severly damaged from people going elsewhere to get resources? Will that impact be worse than the damage that would be done to the rainforest?

6. Kaycee Faunce says:

I like the figure you posted. I didn’t realize how relatively little oil Ecuador had compared to some other areas. I wonder if a tourism infrastructure could be built around Yasuni that would be strong enough to eventually make up for the other half of the lost oil profits if the Yasuni Initiative goes through and they decide not to drill? If it can be done, the rainforest is definitely a more reliable source of profit via tourism than an oil reserve that will eventually run dry.

7. kknoop says:

I’m torn about what the other countries should do just like you because it is such an unpredictable outcome. What if other oil-bearing countries decide to hold their environment for ransom? As unrealistic as this might sound, I hate to think that the U.S. and other wealthy nations wouldn’t just pitch in to save the planet that we all call home. After all, we did gain much of our success through the exploitation of others. Perhaps it’s finally time we pay it back.

8. Dr. Szulczewski says:

Interesting data in the figure. What does that say to you regarding Ecuador’s bargain to save the rainforest instead of drilling for oil?