Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 | Author:
I would love to see Easter Island.  I remember my "Mario" tetris game had a level with Easter Island.  Until reading, i never knew about the red stones on the tops of them.

I would love to see Easter Island. I remember my “Mario”  game had a level with Easter Island. Until reading, i never knew about the red stones on the tops of them.

I thought the role playing we did in class was interesting.  Most people agreed on most subjects, which was  nice to hear, but it made me wonder about the people who didn’t agree.  Did they not say something because they didn’t want anyone to think they were “wrong” or “different”.  Just like when we talked as a group about how the people on Easter Island probably would have reacted if one or two individuals were to have stepped up and said that they were harming themselves by cutting down the trees.  As humans we have such high or strong social issues we sometimes keep our mouths shut on important things because we are worried about what someone, or main a group, may think of us.  Then in turn, depending on the situation of the community, harm may even come to those who are not following along.  I forgot to mention it in class, but I remember reading in the book the chapter on Easter Island they mention that there was a population estimation of 7,000 at their peak. The video that we watched said the peak was at 12,000,  that is a difference of 5,000 people.  I may be wrong, and am would like to be corrected if I am, but I was pretty certain that is what was said.  To me, that is too much of a difference.  I think it is wonderful that people have come so far in technology and science to now be able to tell that there were actually many trees on the island at one point.  We are assuming that there were trees that covered the island, because of location, climate and surrounding islands, but in all reality we don’t know how many trees there actually were.  I also recall reading that there were  still around 3,000 people left living when others came to occupy the island. (or Visit) So having that many people still there says that the civilization was still going, not well of course and wasn’t going to probably last much longer on their own anyway, but I had the impression that they had killed off almost ALL of themselves, leaving only a couple hundred.  I still find it strange that the ones that did survive, didn’t even really know what had happened.  Such mysteries.  I have not researched it myself, but just like the pyramids, they shouldn’t have been able to really build the monuments they did, I heard that people of today can’t replica the pyramids using the “tools” that were provided back in then.  I dont know if that makes sense to others!  So fascinating and mysterious.  What if we are completely wrong about what happened?  Not likely, I know , but still I wonder.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  1. Taylor Bono says:

I really like that social issues were prevalent in your reflection. There are things that happen to me and probably all of us on a daily basis in which we feel like we have no control over or vice versa, that we can control exactly how something happens. You’re also not alone in wondering if we actually know what happened back then — I mean it was so long ago and where are our witnesses! What if we are completely wrong and aliens are laughing as us now? Improbable, but it hasn’t completely been disproven…has it? I’m only in a slightly jesting mood, but you’re definitely not alone in your thoughts. Sometimes I think the same thing and just have to keep fact checking or listen to the countless opinions of the experts. -tb

2. terra says:

Yes, I did get to that in the reading. Since the environment had been changed so greatly, if no one from the outside was to help the Easter Islanders then even that 3,000 would have declined. I really dont know if they would have found another way to survive. Its so very hard to tell at this point. I read about the other islands and that they didn’t have people living on them once they were no longer trading with the other islands. I think that the people would have needed some outside help in order to survive. Isoloation was a downfall for sure.

3. Dr. Szulczewski says:

I like your insight into societal pressure- and hopefully as we get to know each other, people will open up more in class (and on their blogs). You might want to watch the last part of that documentary in class- it talks more about what what happened to those few who survived.

4. jhanes2 says:

Another thing to consider in terms of the population is that many of the original inhabitants were either kidnapped into slavery or died as a result of disease brought by the Europeans. Diamond mentions that about 1,500 people were abducted from the island around 1862, and estimates that cut the Easter Island population down to half. He later says only about 100 native islanders were left by 1872, as a result of the declining environment, disease epidemics, and the slave trade.

So I think you’re right, that 3,000 people left was still enough to technically continue their society, at least until their resources ran out. But once the Europeans arrived, it seems there was very little they could have done to preserve their civilization. If that hadn’t happened, do you think there was a chance the Easter Islanders could have found another way to survive?

5. terra says:

So in response to my own blog, I read in the book Collapse that they really can’t determine how many people were there at the peak, but it actually even could have been up to 15,000. I think the more people makes sense due to the need of man power to move the stones.